miércoles, octubre 05, 2011

Armando Rubio


























(Pintura: "El hijo del hombre", René Magritte) 


Armando Rubio
(Santiago, 1955 – 1980)


Fragment of a Diary

Dusk and all its splendor no longer move me;
the language of birds seems indecipherable to me
--besides, I know that they don’t sing for man--;
I detest the sun when it gets hot;
I continue to be white,
and my arms stretch out like a canvas
in my daily exercise;
I have a monumental mess in my head,
because I know, man does not live by reason,
rather by thirst, hunger and madness.


          So many black doves:
they smell like chimneys;
dogs lick the sidewalks;
I, in the midst of it all, like a spinning top,
oblivious to the primed yearning
of embracing dusk in its flight.

          So much face downwards,
and although at times I may suddenly sing any afternoon
in the streets celebrating
the event of my feet that walk
and walk,
I always return to this clumsy indifference,
to this nailing my eyes to the ground
inhaling a cigarette like a bat perhaps.

          And so I look up only
if the night watches
silent and open,
and the spaces tremble like a great grove
stirred up by crickets,
and it seems like something will spring up.
Then, and only then,
is it good to be alive.


Translated by David A. Petreman 


***

Fragmento de un diario

El crepúsculo y toda su pompa ya no me conmueven;
el lenguaje de los pájaros me parece indescifrable
–además, sé que no cantan para el hombre–;
detesto el sol cuando se afiebra;
prosigo blanco,
y mis brazos se estiran como un lienzo
en la gimnasia cotidiana;
tengo un desorden monumental en la cabeza,
porque sé, de razón no vive el hombre,
sino de sed, de hambre y de locura.

          Tantas palomas negras:
huelen a chimeneas;
perros lamen veredas;
yo, en medio, como un trompo, 
olvidado del ansia primeriza
de abrazar al crepúsculo en su fuga.

          Tanta frente de bruces,
y aunque a veces yo cante cualquier tarde
de improviso en las calles celebrando
el acontecimiento de mis pies que caminan
y caminan,
siempre vuelvo a esta burda indiferencia,
a este clavar los ojos en el suelo
respirando un cigarro
como un murciélago quizá.

          Así alzo la mirada solamente
si la noche se cierne
silenciosa y abierta,
y tiemblan los espacios como gran arboleda 
encendida de grillos,
y parece que algo va a nacer.
Entonces, sólo entonces,
alegra el respirar.


  ***

 Obra: "Ciudadano" (1983).

<-- >